On the westernmost tip of China lies a city that is caught up in an inward struggle over its identity. Is it part of the second largest desert in the world or located at the foot of the Tian Shan mountain range? Is it on the far west tip of China or right in the middle of the Silk Road? Is it Uyghur or Han Chinese? Is it an old city characterized by its thatched houses and donkey carts or a new city sprawling with new high-rises and buzzing with taxis? Kashgar, it seems, is all of these things.Tuesday, October 07, 2008
Welcome to Kashgar: Heart of the Silk Road
On the westernmost tip of China lies a city that is caught up in an inward struggle over its identity. Is it part of the second largest desert in the world or located at the foot of the Tian Shan mountain range? Is it on the far west tip of China or right in the middle of the Silk Road? Is it Uyghur or Han Chinese? Is it an old city characterized by its thatched houses and donkey carts or a new city sprawling with new high-rises and buzzing with taxis? Kashgar, it seems, is all of these things.Thankfully there are more reasons to visit Kashgar than for political or social observations. Its awkward location between mountains and desert provide breath-taking scenery on many sides of the geographical spectrum and its generally calm weather give you ample opportunity to soak it all in. The people we met on our journey who helped us, drove us, translated for us, and even took us out to eat are a reminder that stereotypes, even the old "tourist trap" stereotype, sometimes only serve to make us afraid of what we don't know or understand.
We traveled to Kashgar and surrounding villages; we experienced the Uyghur, Kyrgyz, and Muslim cultures; and thankfully I can say that we'll never look at them the same way again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









2 Comments:
Hi, I am contemplating visiting after reading a travel journal type of book where the author visited Kashgar. Based on what you say, I would still like to go but I have a few questions and wonder if you wouldn't mind answering them. My email is rapav@hotmail.com
Cheers
I was is Kashgar in July 08. I really enjoyed my vist. I almost forgot I was in China except for the soldiers and Mao statue. We had some local Uyghur friends look after us which really made the trip. great city, can't wait to go back.
Post a Comment
Comment Guidelines:
*Comments that do not abide by these guidelines will be deleted*