My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.farwestchina.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

A Shout Out to the Alma Mater

I wanted to give a quick show of support for my alma mater, Belmont University, which just hosted the most recent presidential debates.  Ever since our new Curb Events Center was built a few years ago, the vision was always to host one of the presidential debates.  It's been more than 4 years since I've been back on campus and even though I'm still paying for my degree, but I'm as proud as ever to say that I graduated from Belmont.

Quick facts:

  • It costs close to $3 million to put on a presidential debate and that the schools usually foot the entire bill.
  • Belmont moved its Fall break to coincide with the debate so there would be less students on campus.  Security, of course.
  • To my knowledge, none of the Belmont students or faculty actually attended the debates.  All participants were chosen by the Gallup Group to represent all kinds of undecided voters.
  • Our soccer field was turned into temporary building to hold all the media for the debates, forcing the soccer team to play all their games at an off-campus location this season.
  • Alcohol, which is supposedly "banned" on campus (I don't drink, but I saw plenty on campus while I was there) was allowed for the press during the debates.
For more interesting info, check out this AP Article .


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Guidelines:

  1. No profane or inappropriate language
  2. Links are allowed if pertaining to the subject at hand
  3. Links must be accompanied by a relevant comment

*Comments that do not abide by these guidelines will be deleted*

Blog Widget by LinkWithin