Next time little Johnny needs a friend to help put him to sleep, toss the teddy bear aside and give him a camel. It makes sense, if you think about it. What’s the point in teaching kids that it’s good to hug an animal that would probably eat you in real life given the chance? Camels wouldn’t do that.Monday, February 15, 2010
4 New Ways to See a Camel
Due to current events here in Xinjiang a majority of the recent posts on FarWestChina have been far too serious. To fix this I have decided to dedicate the next week to a string of what I think are humorous posts – in part to add some laughs but also because I’m going to be away from my computer for the next two weeks for the Chinese holiday.
So borrowing from the pages of Reader’s Digest I’d like to have some fun introducing Xinjiang’s famous two-humped animal. Camels are practically useless in our concrete culture but here, despite modernization, the camel still plays an important, albeit usually symbolic, role.
1) Looking at a Camel as…
… transportation.
Camels in a western petting zoo may take you around in a circle, but out in parts of Xinjiang you can still utilize a camel to cross the desert. Obviously the camel has been replaced as a primary means of getting from point A to point B, but travelers can still hire a caravan to follow in the footsteps of great explorers like Marco Polo or Sven Hedin.
2) Looking at a Camel as…
…a source of Milk
Although no different than obtaining milk from a cow or a yak, I can’t explain why the idea of camel milk just seems so weird. You’ll usually find this particular luxury in a Uyghur supermarket because the Chinese prefer to stick with the equally odd-tasting soy milk.
3) Looking at a Camel as…
…a source of Energy
Who needs a can of Red Bull when you can energize yourself with a bit of Red Camel (camel milk not used). This product is an obvious knock-off whose can is not only the same size but also the same color and design. To make things more confusing it is usually stocked right next to the Red Bull in the supermarket.
4) Looking at a Camel as…
…a play toy
Next time little Johnny needs a friend to help put him to sleep, toss the teddy bear aside and give him a camel. It makes sense, if you think about it. What’s the point in teaching kids that it’s good to hug an animal that would probably eat you in real life given the chance? Camels wouldn’t do that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












4 Comments:
Camel milk? They're not as docile as cows--I'd think it'd be more difficult to milk them.
Salaam! Many thanks for this wonderful blog! I was wondering, is it common to also eat the camel sometimes? I know that in certain Gulf countries a camel can be eaten once in a while.
I might be going to Xinjiang to teach soon, since the US job market is depressing :), so perhaps I can find out then :) At least I will know many things before going there, thanks to this blog.
Thank you! Hox!
Hey Matt! Long time since I've been able to chat with you. You know, I think I saw an episode of "Amazing Race" where one of their challenges was to milk a camel. At least I think it was a camel. Anyway, it just stood there and took it, so maybe they're not so bad.
@marceblumme - I wouldn't be surprised to see camel meat as an option on the menu in some border areas, but I personally haven't seen it.
Hope you're able to make it to Xinjiang to teach...we desperately need teachers!
I've had camel in China--in Shenzhen at a Brazilian BBQ. It wasn't bad.
Post a Comment
Comment Guidelines:
*Comments that do not abide by these guidelines will be deleted*