During a discussion with some Chinese friends today we began to talk about computers, the internet and its effect on China. During the course of this conversation I learned something new about Chinese colors I had never heard in my two and a half years here. It went something like this:
"
So Gary, what are your thoughts?"
"I think the internet is both good and bad. It is good because I love to play computer games (a common pasttime here) but I think it is also bad because of all the yellow pictures" he said.
"
Yellow pictures?" I had an idea what he meant, but I wanted to make sure.
"Yea. You know, yellow pictures and yellow movies" he replied while making some hand motions and beginning to blush. It was now obvious he was referring to indecent pictures and inappropriate videos that even here in China are an epidemic despite efforts by internet censors.
"Oh, I see." I said, trying to ease his embarrassment. "Yes, I agree with you that this is not a very good part of the internet."

It was interesting to learn this new meaning for yellow, but it doesn't quite make sense to me. What about the Yellow River in China? Or the Yellow Emperor, the legendary first emperer of China? Seems that somehow this color, which at one time was used to
describe people of Asian descent (even the surname "Huang" - meaning yellow - is a very common name), is now used to describe something inappropriate or offensive. It's not a color association that we would make in America.
This isn't the first color difference I've run into since being here. It seems that red, for example, is the primary wedding color for a bride's dress. White, on the contrary, is many times used for mourning (although most Chinese brides still have a white dress as well). It's backwards and confusing, but living in China and especially here in Xinjiang, we generally expect as much.
It's made me wonder, though...are there any other color associations not mentioned that are prevalent here in China? In English we tell someone that they "look blue" today or that they are "red with embarrassment". What other confusing Chinese color associations are there? I'd love to know.
8 Comments:
I learned that one in my second year--taught some interesting adults who taught me a great deal about Chinese culture. Saying something is yellow isn't just calling something offensive, it's a little closer to pornographic.
I know I've heard some other color expressions, but I'm drawing a blank on them.
Only confusing if you are looking at the issue through foreign-tinted glasses. I'm sure the Chinese believe western color associations are, as you said, "backwards and confusing."
Hackers are referred to as a Black Guest in Chinese.
It's just the same as in the west we call pornographic movies "blue movies".
blond hair, "golden hair", 金发
Funny you should post on this topic! I was just thinking about this question earlier today -- before I saw your post, I mean. So far as I understand it, perhaps because of a high concentration of color-blindness in some East Asian gene pools, "green" and "blue" have traditionally covered some of the same territory and been represented (in some cases) by the same graph, 青. (This is also true in Japanese, at least to some extent.) And 青 also sometimes means "grey" as well, or at least it used to, as in "grey ox" 青牛. There's an ekphrasis on a tree somewhere -- I think it's Yu Xin's "Ekphrasis on a Barren Tree" (枯树賦) that mentions that. Of course, there are many other words representing the green-blue spectrum, some of which overlap and some of which seem more specific. For example, 碧空 (the "blue vault" of heaven) is a pretty common expression, perhaps best exemplified in Li Bai's famous poem about Yellow Crane Tower, and so is 碧玉 ("blue-green jades" -- young girls), which turns up in a poem by Li Qunyu whose title I have forgotten, and also in the bit in "The Dream of the Red Chamber" in which Lin Daiyu and Shi Xiangyun make up linked verses for the mid-Autumn festival.
On "yellow" indicating pornographic content -- I think there's a literary journal based in the US called "Yellow Silk" that specializes in erotic content, but perhaps they took their name from the Chinese?
桃色新闻 or 绯闻 peach colour/pink news, i.e. rumor about celebrities love life.
戴绿帽子, wearing geern hat, i.e. cheated by the partner.
oops forget the link
http://www.bbc.co.uk/china/lifeintheuk/story/2008/09/080912_culturegap_colours.shtml
im writing an essay about this in pyschology...
Post a Comment
Comment Guidelines:
*Comments that do not abide by these guidelines will be deleted*