My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.farwestchina.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

New Urumqi Airport Terminal 3 Set to Open

If you're going to be flying in to Urumqi this summer, chances are you'll be arriving in the newly-built Terminal 3. With a price tag of 1.3 billion yuan, this international hub for China Southern Airlines should go into full operation this Saturday, March 27th, 2010.

It's interesting for me to see how the process of opening an airport goes. Over the years I've passed through Terminal 2 countless times and I've been able to watch the steel frame of Terminal 3 slowly transform into another one of China's enormous airports. It's beautiful, I admit, but the fact that it has a curved design means it doesn't fit in with the rest of Urumqi's architecture.
 


For those who live in China you'll understand that the words "years" and "construction" normally don't go together. I've seen 20-story apartment complexes completed in months (sometimes with disastrous results), so in comparison this airport was taking an eternity to build. Finally, it's done, and yesterday 500 mock passengers went through with mock luggage and checked into their mock flight to test the systems in preparation for opening.

As a side note, if any Chinese official happens to read this, can we PLEASE have better food options than a Best Food Burger (China's sub-par McDonald's clone)? Please?

Parking's good, but hopefully getting a taxi at T3 will be easier

The new T3 really isn't that far from T2

Don't kid yourself...no matter the airport size, this is still China


4 Comments:

Porfiriy said...

I always go to that Best Food Burger before or after a long trip thinking that no matter how bad it is, I'll like it anyway, since I'm really hankering for some fast food. But each time, I am wrong. :(

Josh said...

I'm the exact same way. The only thing positive I have to say about them is this: they get such little business that everything has to be made-to-order or it gets cold. This means I always get hot fries there, even if the burger makes me want to cry.

Jessie V said...

it is gorgeous!! the lines, though? ugh...

Josh said...

You can't avoid the lines in China, that's for sure. I don't remember standing in long lines in American airports, but it's been a while so maybe this is par for the course.

Post a Comment

Comment Guidelines:

  1. No profane or inappropriate language
  2. Links are allowed if pertaining to the subject at hand
  3. Links must be accompanied by a relevant comment

*Comments that do not abide by these guidelines will be deleted*

Blog Widget by LinkWithin