My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.farwestchina.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Picture of the Week: Diverse Xinjiang Music


Can you spot which CD doesn’t belong?

So the title of this picture is a bit misleading, I admit. Xinjiang music is very diverse and incredibly fascinating, however my knowledge and understanding of it is still quite limited. Even so, while traveling to a desert oasis in Xinjiang a couple months ago I came upon a merchant trying to sell his display of Xinjiang-related books and CDs. I'm no expert, but something just didn't look right.

I would like to set the record straight: despite his popularity all over China, Kenny G is not a Xinjiang native and his music carries no trace of local flavor.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Guidelines:

  1. No profane or inappropriate language
  2. Links are allowed if pertaining to the subject at hand
  3. Links must be accompanied by a relevant comment

*Comments that do not abide by these guidelines will be deleted*

Blog Widget by LinkWithin