423 unread emails.
1000+ unread RSS articles
49 blog comments I haven’t responded to
69 new Twitter “friends” because of the Urumqi riots
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
A Temporary Respite from the Stone Age
I have to admit that life without the internet is a life lived quite simply. I have read more books in the last 3 weeks than the previous three months combined. Of course the list above doesn’t make me exactly excited to get my life back online. I’m not sure whether to count it as a blessing or a curse that Xinjiang is by most reliable counts not expected to be back online until early October or later. The precedent set by Tibet last year was two months, but I think we’re gonna break that record by a mile.
So here I am on a train from Urumqi to Beijing, taking a break from reading another book, writing about not being able to get online. I expect this might be the first time in my life that I will actually be excited to see a dark room full of young adults and teenagers playing World of Warcraft or some other online game.
I am overwhelmed by the amount of news and controversy that has gone completely unheard by any person living within Xinjiang. I almost feel unqualified to write about what is happening here in my own home because everybody seems to know more than I do. During this internet blackout I have still continued to write about what I have experienced, however, and I will be posting a few articles to be scheduled over the next couple of weeks, including an entire series dedicated to the Urumqi riots.
Please enjoy and keep in mind that once I return to the black hole that currently is Xinjiang I will again be unable to return emails or answer comments. On a separate note, if you have any good books to send my way…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









16 Comments:
We're really happy to hear from you. We are still planning to go to China on Aug 5, but have been told that "no foreigners are allowed in Xinjiang" right now. We're not sure how to handle this since our plane tickets land us in Urumqi. Our plan is to call the embassy for advice. Anyway, we're really happy to hear that you seem to be doing ok there. -Erica and Rich
We're really happy to hear from you. We are still planning to go to China on Aug 5, but have been told that "no foreigners are allowed in Xinjiang" right now. We're not sure how to handle this since our plane tickets land us in Urumqi. Our plan is to call the embassy for advice. Anyway, we're really happy to hear that you seem to be doing ok there. -Erica and Rich
Enjoy your time away. Just FYI, my wife has been able to call people in her hometown via visitors with cellphones from other parts of China. Maybe pick up a SIM card while you're in Beijing so you can make international calls. The block on those calls is supposed to last until October.
Enjoy your time away. Just FYI, my wife has been able to call people in her hometown via visitors with cellphones from other parts of China. Maybe pick up a SIM card while you're in Beijing so you can make international calls. The block on those calls is supposed to last until October.
Glad to see you back, Josh, if only for a little while. Take care.
Glad to see you back, Josh, if only for a little while. Take care.
We bailed and went to Xian by train and are now in Gansu visiting family not so much because of the trouble but there is only so much playing pool and drinking beer you can do.
I was surprised by the number of people I met who hadn't heard of the trouble or thought everything is A OK up in Xinjiang when we where in Xian.
We bailed and went to Xian by train and are now in Gansu visiting family not so much because of the trouble but there is only so much playing pool and drinking beer you can do.
I was surprised by the number of people I met who hadn't heard of the trouble or thought everything is A OK up in Xinjiang when we where in Xian.
All agencies and people I've talked to have told me that foreigners are, in fact, allowed to enter Xinjiang, so you shouldn't have a problem. The only problem was during the first day or two of the riots.
Hurry up and get out here!
All agencies and people I've talked to have told me that foreigners are, in fact, allowed to enter Xinjiang, so you shouldn't have a problem. The only problem was during the first day or two of the riots.
Hurry up and get out here!
Thanks, Matt. We've experimented with different phone cards and SIM cards, finding some that work which are then later blocked. It's the constant game of cat and mouse that seems oddly familiar (the GFW, anyone?). Glad to hear that your wife has at least been able to contact her family. I think where she's from has seen very little problems.
Thanks, Stevo! Good to see that you're still out here in China. Are you still in the same city as earlier?
Thanks, Matt. We've experimented with different phone cards and SIM cards, finding some that work which are then later blocked. It's the constant game of cat and mouse that seems oddly familiar (the GFW, anyone?). Glad to hear that your wife has at least been able to contact her family. I think where she's from has seen very little problems.
Thanks, Stevo! Good to see that you're still out here in China. Are you still in the same city as earlier?
Amen to that. I was getting pretty bored myself. It's been nice just to get out for a while.
Isn't it amazing how many people are unaware of what's going on in the news? Many people here in Beijing are the same way, and a ton of friends back in the States didn't even have a clue that there was trouble. Oh well. :)
Amen to that. I was getting pretty bored myself. It's been nice just to get out for a while.
Isn't it amazing how many people are unaware of what's going on in the news? Many people here in Beijing are the same way, and a ton of friends back in the States didn't even have a clue that there was trouble. Oh well. :)
Post a Comment
Comment Guidelines:
*Comments that do not abide by these guidelines will be deleted*