I ran across a very interesting website the other day that has a large selection of recordings documenting the beautiful spectrum of Xinjiang culture and music. It's not a new site but it still remains quite relevant today. The media, recorded in 2003 by a man who had been given a grant to travel here for that purpose, offers a rare glimpse into this province that all my writing combined will never be able to do. From the website:
My hope is that at least some of the elements in this section- what I like to think of as ‘artifacts’ will have some worldly value for a region, people and tradition that I myself can see changing by the day…and In many respects, simply slipping into history. A government orchestrated transformation that has no intention on slowing down is taking place and many traditions I’ve experienced here are plainly in their last generation.
Instruments (from left to right): sapaya (paired sticks pierced with metal rings, used as percussion), tambur (long-necked string instrument), dap (donkey-skin hand drums) and singing - recorded in the courtyard of a home in Karkax.
2 Comments:
Hi,
I am from indonesia and i am moslem.
Sad when hear what happen in Xin Jiang today.
When i hear the song that they sing, i hear word:
"Allohu Akbar wa lilillahil hamd"
Same word that every day i said when Salat
Hi,
I am from indonesia and i am moslem.
Sad when hear what happen in Xin Jiang today.
When i hear the song that they sing, i hear word:
"Allohu Akbar wa lilillahil hamd"
Same word that every day i said when Salat
Post a Comment
Comment Guidelines:
*Comments that do not abide by these guidelines will be deleted*