In case you didn't see last Tuesday's post on our recent
camping trip here in Xinjiang, we just invested in a new motorcycle. It is a second-hand motorcycle that we're hoping to use to facilitate more travel within the province, particularly our area up here in the north. I've already received a few questions about the motorcycle, both in my email and in the blog comments, so I thought I'd just answer a few of them quickly.
Frequently Asked Motorcycle Questions
#1 No sane person drives in China! Have you gone insane?
Maybe. Time will tell. Lest you forget, we live in a relatively small city here in Xinjiang. Less than 200,000. Traffic here, although not as tame as in the U.S., is nothing compared to bigger cities such as Beijing, Shanghai, or even the capital of Urumqi.
#2 Do you have a death wish?
Ok, this sounds a bit similar to question #1, but I'll give it a proper answer. It would have been a death wish if this was my first year living here, but it's not. We're on year three and I honestly feel like I have a feel for the traffic flow here in China. It's different, but there is order to what looks like chaos, I promise you.
#3 What kind of bike did you buy?
We bought a used HaoJue, a bike that is made by the same manufacturers who make Suzuki. There were quite a few options for brands (JiaLing, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, HaoJue...to name a few) but the "western" brands were far too expensive for what we needed. We basically chose based on the availability of good quaility second-hand bikes. No need to buy new. It's a 125 that doesn't have tons of power, but it does what we need it to.
#4 Do you wear helments?
Yes, mom, we wear helmets. See the photo above? That was just for you.
#5 Was it difficult getting your motorcycle license?
In short, yes. The process wasn't difficult, just very time consuming. I've heard it's easier in the bigger cities, but in our city I am the first foreigner who has applied for a license and received it, so I think they made me jump a few extra hoops just to cover their bases. I'll probably go into more detail about motorcycle licenses later.
#6 Did you have to take your driver's test in Chinese?
Yes, I did. Out here they don't offer it in English. I studied pretty hard for a couple weeks - not the actual content but rather all of the characters I didn't know!
________________________
If I somehow missed a question feel free to ask in the comments below.
14 Comments:
Thanks for the great posts. I used to ride myself, and have dreamed of going cycling in western China. I would love to go with you on an outing, but the doctor promises me that it won't happen anytime soon.
Thanks for the great posts. I used to ride myself, and have dreamed of going cycling in western China. I would love to go with you on an outing, but the doctor promises me that it won't happen anytime soon.
how much did hte cycle cost and can you get bigger cc model I am a large guy who would need a minimum of a 250 to move gear and my daughter as well as myself if we were to get one for travel
thanks
how much did hte cycle cost and can you get bigger cc model I am a large guy who would need a minimum of a 250 to move gear and my daughter as well as myself if we were to get one for travel
thanks
Great question. As I said above, this is a used motorcycle, so I was able to get what I think is a pretty good deal on it. The intial price was 3,600 RMB but after paying for the transfer of the vehicle registration plus an extra helmet for my wife it ended up being exactly 4000 RMB (about US$575).
You can get much bigger and better motorcycles than this. I have seen plenty of 150's and a few 250's on the road, so that shouldn't be a problem. The biggest problem is just getting the license.
Good luck!
Great question. As I said above, this is a used motorcycle, so I was able to get what I think is a pretty good deal on it. The intial price was 3,600 RMB but after paying for the transfer of the vehicle registration plus an extra helmet for my wife it ended up being exactly 4000 RMB (about US$575).
You can get much bigger and better motorcycles than this. I have seen plenty of 150's and a few 250's on the road, so that shouldn't be a problem. The biggest problem is just getting the license.
Good luck!
How does insurance work in china? What is the main process for obtaining the Driver Lisence? �If it is less than 100cc's do you need a liscense and tag in China? �You know in the U.S. less than a 100cc's does not require a liscense...
How does insurance work in china? What is the main process for obtaining the Driver Lisence? �If it is less than 100cc's do you need a liscense and tag in China? �You know in the U.S. less than a 100cc's does not require a liscense...
I'm still learning a lot of this as I go, but I'll answer what I can. First of all, insurance looks to be required and isn't too expensive. I'm still working through that whole process. I'll be writing about getting a driver's license in the near future, so be looking.
I have seen no official rule for this in a book anywhere, but I have been told that less than 50cc does not require a license or tag. It could be more.
I'll be honest, it's difficult to find out the concrete rules for this stuff here in China because there is a fine line between what is enforced and what is an actual law. It can be frustrating.
I'm still learning a lot of this as I go, but I'll answer what I can. First of all, insurance looks to be required and isn't too expensive. I'm still working through that whole process. I'll be writing about getting a driver's license in the near future, so be looking.
I have seen no official rule for this in a book anywhere, but I have been told that less than 50cc does not require a license or tag. It could be more.
I'll be honest, it's difficult to find out the concrete rules for this stuff here in China because there is a fine line between what is enforced and what is an actual law. It can be frustrating.
...told that less than 50cc does not require a license or tag
by law- NO, blue license plate NEED (GA36-2007 Scanned images http://bbs.xbus.cn/viewthread.php?action=printable&tid=35753) nobody cares that law expect "BIG" cities
...told that less than 50cc does not require a license or tag
by law- NO, blue license plate NEED (GA36-2007 Scanned images http://bbs.xbus.cn/viewthread.php?action=printable&tid=35753) nobody cares that law expect "BIG" cities
You're right about 50cc and under not requiring a license. I'll add, however, that many big cities don't even allow motorcycles over 50cc within the city limits. I can't just go and drive into the capital city because I would get pulled over and my bike possibly confiscated. I would say that nobody "cares" about the law in the smaller cities where everybody knows each other.
You're right about 50cc and under not requiring a license. I'll add, however, that many big cities don't even allow motorcycles over 50cc within the city limits. I can't just go and drive into the capital city because I would get pulled over and my bike possibly confiscated. I would say that nobody "cares" about the law in the smaller cities where everybody knows each other.
Post a Comment
Comment Guidelines:
*Comments that do not abide by these guidelines will be deleted*