Local Name: "Samsa"
Chinese Name: 烤包子 (kǎo bāozi)
Alternate Names: Roast Dumplings, Baked Uyghur Pies
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Xinjiang's Best Food: Samsa 烤包子
Description: A mixture of mutton, onions, (sometimes carrots) and spices encased in a thin, baked crust.
Xinjiang "Hot Pockets"
"Samsa" reminds me so much of those hot pockets. The hot, flaky crust filled with a tender meat stuffing doesn't look as commercially-made, but it tastes a whole lot better.
It's a Brick Oven, Not a Microwave
After the stuffing is prepared it is then wrapped in a dough and placed inside the oven to roast for about 20 minutes. It's kind of cool to see about 15-20 of these suckers just stuck to the side of the oven wall, their skin browning to different degrees depending on the thickness. It doesn't give off as strong a smell as the neighboring Uyghur bread stand but it still smells enticing.
The Verdict
Personally, I like an occasional Samsa as a snack on my way home, but not very often. They're a bit oily (I find that everything that uses lamb sits heavy in the stomach), but on the up side they're dirt-cheap. Usually only 1 RMB per Samsa. From what I can gather, you don't eat them as a meal by themselves but as an addition to a rice or noodle dish (such as "Pollo"). I can only eat about one or two before my stomach tells me I've ingested enough oil for the day. Still, my mouth reminds me it wasn't all bad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









5 Comments:
Samsa sound awesome. I wish they had them here in Toronto, Canada.
The clay oven looks and sounds like a tandoor, used in India.
@Don Tai - A tandor? Never heard of that before today, but after looking at the wiki I think that's precisely what it is.
What I think is crazy is how these people can keep a constant temperature and know just how long to cook all of these foods when they don't even have a thermometer. Amazing!
My first trip to Urumqi, we didn't have much choice for breakfast since we woke up too early and there wasn't anything near the hotel. Ended up buying a huge samsa for 5 jiao.
yes, Samsa is super.. I wish they had them here in Toronto, Canada.
very interesting. can i put it in ggberry.com as a link?
Post a Comment
Comment Guidelines:
*Comments that do not abide by these guidelines will be deleted*