My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.farwestchina.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, February 05, 2009

From Mummies to Carpets: Drugs in Xinjiang

Although drugs have most famously made their way into China through its southern ports, Xinjiang has never been immune to its terrible grasp, neither in its history or in the present.  The most recent drug-related news to come from this area was the comic discovery of cannabis alongside ancient mummies, but I just ran across another article detailing a more modern discovery of drugs that I found even funnier. Tourist beware: that wool carpet you just bought here may be worth more than you bargained for.

From the Straights Times:
"A common method for smuggling heroin into Xinjiang has been to weave fine plastic tubes containing the drug into the region's famed wool carpets, it said.
In one case, police seized 48 kilograms of heroin hidden in carpets discovered at the airport in Xinjiang regional capital Urumqi."
Now that's a creative and very region-specific way to smuggle!  In the world of smuggling I would expect that the level of creativity rises exponentially in relation to the consequences for being caught, so it doesn't surprise me to learn that in China the penalty for first-time offenders caught trafficking drugs is often the death penalty.

I've never done drugs in my life but I'm not blind to the fact that it happens even in small cities like mine. Xinjiang's location next to countries that are known as some of the top producers of heroin (Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan) make it a prime target for drug smugglers.

I have, however, bought a wool carpet.  A couple of them, actually.  Now there's no part of me that believes I am in possession of anything I shouldn't be but you have to admit that the storyline sounds like the plot from some movie!


Sources:
  The Straights Times:  "Foreigners nabbed for drugs"

2 Comments:

Bill Dan Courtney said...

Hi Josh, this is Bill. I am testng this to see if I can sendthis through Freegate Proxy. When my wife Ivy and I returned from Rui Li (瑞丽)which borders Burma the bus we were in was stopped at least three times fro drug searches. I was treated politley but I was checked out.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for commenting, Bill. I hate it that the website is still blocked and realize there would be a lot more comments on my posts if it weren't. I appreciate you stopping by on the proxy anyway.

And sorry about those drug searches. Not fun.

Post a Comment

Comment Guidelines:

  1. No profane or inappropriate language
  2. Links are allowed if pertaining to the subject at hand
  3. Links must be accompanied by a relevant comment

*Comments that do not abide by these guidelines will be deleted*

Blog Widget by LinkWithin