- Why did you move to China?
- Of all places, why stay in Xinjiang for so many years?
The first question seems to be the easiest, but is actually in itself quite a complicated answer. Tiff and I both speak Spanish and upon graduation had planned to move to a preferably Spanish-speaking country to do education or humanitarian work. The Peace Corps was a good option, but the time required to place a married couple is more than a year after application and we didn’t want to wait that long. Before Tiff’s graduation she became ESL certified for reasons unknown to either of us and we were told there were many opportunities to teach in China. Wait…China? No, no, no. We speak Spanish, not Chinese. Still, Tiffany’s friend’s distant cousin knew a dog whose neighbor knew a professor who had a working relationship with a school here in China and had openings available as ESL teachers.
So we took it. I will always ask myself why we did, but it’s not a decision we regret.
Living in Xinjiang
Hopefully some of these reasons might be intriguing, so I'll be giving more details in the days to come. Enjoy!
**Note: Have you lived or worked in Xinjiang? If so, I'd love to hear what other reasons you might add to the list above!









1 Comment:
Wow, like the new look! Very swish! Anyway:
"So it’s easy to answer the question why we came to Xinjiang – we didn’t mean to!"
Yeah, me too, if you change 'Xinjinag' to 'China'. I did a BA in French- language and literature- and did a bit of German and Russian just for fun- language, literature and film. I've retained a love of the French, German and Russian languages, literatures (less so in the case of German) and film, but by the end of my degree I'd had bloody enough of Europe. And then an opportunity to come to China made itself known- Changsha, capital of Hunan, in my case. I looked back only once, and quickly corrected that mistake.
And in that post where you talk about the food: Amen Brother! Preach it! Yeah, I'm sure the Xinjiang food we get here in Beijing pales in comparison to the culinary heaven that Xinjiang must be, but so much of what we can get here speaks so deeply to my Kiwi soul that I just have to get to Xinjiang one day- for the food, if for nothing else. Same goes for the music (in my case, the musical ability that runs through my family mutated into linguistic ability in me- that's not a rare occurence, but it left me with less musical ability than most of my clan enjoy, but an equally strong appreciation of quality music).
Post a Comment
Comment Guidelines:
*Comments that do not abide by these guidelines will be deleted*