Chinese Name: 大盘鸡 (dà pán jī)
Alternate Names: "Big Plate Chicken"
Description: A communal dish of chicken, potatoes, onions, and spices soaked in a tasty red sauce
What is "Da Pan Ji"?
How is it ordered?
Da Pan Ji can be ordered in a few different ways:
- Full or half plate. The half plate, called "Ban Pan Ji" is good for two hungry people or three semi-hungry people. A full plate can feed parties of 4 or more.
- Spicy or not spicy. While the spice is part of what makes it taste so good, you can actually order the dish "bu la" or "without hot peppers".
- With or without noodles. Towards the end of the meal, a plate of noodles can be brought out on request to be mixed and eaten with the delicious red sauce. The noodles are usually long and flat and a favorite part of the meal for most who try (It's pretty much my wife's favorite part).
How we eat it:
- We usually buy some bread at a local Uyghur bread stand before going to the restaurant or if possible order the bread at the restaurant and use it to dip into the red sauce (have I mentioned the sauce is to die for?).
- Order a cold dish - our favorite is the cucumbers - to act as a spice reliever when we do decide to order the dish spicy. We're usually glad we did.
...that is until my mom saw the chicken head. I think her meal ended right there. Ha!









4 Comments:
This was one of my favourite dishes in China (called Da Par Ji in Northern China). I was eating it with some friends and picked up a bony piece of chicken. I looked for meat and didn't find much except a small bit near the top which I ate. Then the friend sitting across from me said "you know that you're holding a chicken head in your chopsticks". I turned the meat over, and sure enough there was a beak and eye from the chicken head staring up at me. The head had been cut perfectly in half.
I'd just eaten half the chicken's brain!
I miss this dish more than anything - was my favorite thing about living in Urumqi.
I miss this dish more than anything - was my favorite thing about living in Urumqi.
Post a Comment
Comment Guidelines:
*Comments that do not abide by these guidelines will be deleted*