My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.farwestchina.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Spring Festival Memories Pt. 1

Hello again. Please keep reading - I promise this isn't another blog talking about inflation and the exchange rate. I must have been drugged up to write that. Last week we finally received two DVDs full of my dad's pictures from their trip to China - if you're wondering, that's over 2,000 pictures! We want to take the time right now to post a few pictures and fun memories of our parents' visit here to China. For additional interesting stories, please contact Joe and Debby or see the link to their website here on our blog.

FOOD Memories:

** Upon exiting the airport in Beijing, where is the first place we dared to venture at 11pm at night? McDonald's, of course! Wouldn't want to spoil the entrance into a new and distant country with anything else! Their website says that the trip to McDonald's was for our benefit, but I think it's safe to say that our parents were relieved to see the yellow arches as well! Proof: we ate at McDonalds at least 7-8 times.

**We spent one day in Beijing traveling around with old family friends from Japan. During that one day which consisted of two meals, we spent more money on food (or rather the Japanese friend treated us) than we spent for the next 6 day's meals combined.

** Watching mom's face when Tiff pulled a duck's head out of the meal we were eating in the Muslim quarter in Xi'an. In that same plate we also pulled out a chicken foot - which is considered quite delicious here. Quite honestly we are used to that and totally forgot that it might be considered gross by my parents. I think my mom was a bit queasy that night.

**Mom insisted on visiting the snack street where she was determined to eat a grasshopper on a stick. I think she was jealous of last year's picture of Tiff eating a scorpion and wanted one of her own. Well, she got it. Did she actually eat it? My lips are sealed, but you can ask her if you want.

**Pretty much our favorite memory is the "Quest for the Banana". Beginning in Beijing at the request of mom, we spent an entire week searching for those wonderful packets of potassium. Everywhere we stopped we would search for a banana - every fruit stand, grocery store, and snack shop. Plenty of apples, nice looking oranges, but NO bananas. The search ended one night in Xi'an when I asked the vendor of a hole-in-the-wall shop if he happened to have any bananas. He ducked into the back where he fished out a box and presented me with a nice bunch of bananas. The night was spent gorging ourselves with bananas. Ok, maybe not gorging, but we did have a good laugh at how hard it was to get a banana!

More memories to come...

3 Comments:

Debby Summers said...

I have a few comment for anyone who is reading this blog:
1) yes, we loved those golden arches in China
2) We certainly enjoyed those meals Yoshi treated us to, but Josh is forgetting a special birthday visit to Outback Steakhouse China
3) Josh is WAY EXAGGERATING about the bananas. But I will say that those bananas were the best I have ever eaten in my life. I'm glad he enjoyed the "quest"
Truthfully,
Josh's mom

Josh said...

Ok, although I happened not to mention a very nice (and expensive) meal at Outback, I think that was toward the end of our time in Beijing and therefore still fell outside of the 6 day period I talked about.

And I DID NOT exaggerate about the bananas. It was a glorious day when I finally found those wonderful fruits!

Anonymous said...

It was a glorious day when mom got her bananas, and I have the photo to prove it, but an entire week of searching is stretching it a bit.

Truely

Dad

Post a Comment

Comment Guidelines:

  1. No profane or inappropriate language
  2. Links are allowed if pertaining to the subject at hand
  3. Links must be accompanied by a relevant comment

*Comments that do not abide by these guidelines will be deleted*

Blog Widget by LinkWithin