That's right, folks...you're starring at Tiffany walking our cat! Don't worry, you're not the only people who find that odd - even the Chinese people wandering around the neighborhood can't help stopping to make sure their eyesight is not failing them. Our cat, named Romeo, has actually been enjoying going out with Tiff on a semi-daily basis but he most definitely personifies the phrase "scared-i-cat". If you look closely at the picture you can tell he's ready to bolt in case what I'm holding to my face happens to perhaps be a water hose instead of a camera. The slightest noise, especially from a dog, sends his tail puffing like a blowfish. Just today he got the chance to discover snow for the first time and he wasn't too sure what to think. Anything deeper than his paw was just a bit too risky.
So, the weather. We've actually been pretty disappointed this year. Up until now we have prided ourselves in braving the extreme temperatures of the desert - sweltering heat in the summer and frostbite cold in the winter. This year is different, though, and even the locals are noticing the difference. Last year at this time we had already had a couple weeks of snowfall and literally had icicles hanging off our eyelashes after the walk to school. This year it snowed for the first time halfway into December and even then it had already melted by midday. How disappointing. Tiff's theory is: if I have to endure the cold, gosh darn-it it better be snowing! We're holding out hope for this next week.
I can't remember if I've told you all yet but I, Josh, have been regularly playing indoor basketball with some of the local college professors and leaders. Most of them are in their 40's and 50's but it's impressive to watch them play 2 hours of full-court hoops - more than I can say for what I've seen in America. I am, of course, the novelty which will soon wear off but it has been interesting to watch them accept me into their "group". Just last Wednesday they invited me to a big dinner after the game. My Chinese is not quite good enough to understand all that is said but I can catch the idea of a conversation and answer a question that is posed to me. I am learning so much about the Chinese mindset just by sitting and watching them converse, though. The pressure to drink in this culture is enormous and the willingness to give in is due to the understanding that toasting together somehow moves you from an "acquaintance" to a "friend". If you're at a banquet with your boss the last thing you would want to do is miss an opportunity to join his inner circle. Thankfully none of these men are my boss and I feel no real need to impress them apart from the basketball court, so passing up the "jet fuel" as it has been called is no real problem. My drink of choice when it comes to the customary toasts is a Chinese red wine, which when loosely translated becomes "grape juice that sat out for one day too long". Word to the wise: if you're ever at a banquet with Chinese men your best bet is to be the initiator of the toast - the initiator is the one who determines how much is drunk. If someone toasts me and empties his glass, I must as well. If I toast him and just sip my glass, he does the same. Both means reach the same end, but one sends me packing to the little boys room much quicker (these men must have bladders the size of their stomachs!). Anyway, all that to say that after one night enjoying the company of these men much older than myself I was shocked to see how much more acceptance I received from them when I came to play on Saturday. I'm not quite sure where any of this will lead and if I will accompany them to more dinners, but it's hard to shy away from opportunities to get below the surface level of any Chinese person - regardless of whether they're they same age as my parents.We're now putting presents under the tree, listening to Christmas music, and doing whatever else we can to feel the holidays that we miss out on here in China. Thankfully we're getting more than our share of fellowship this season, so we're really just lacking our families. I guess it's our job to say that it's a relief to get away from the commercialization of Christmas, and in a way it is, but at times we do miss it. We miss the parties, the decorated malls, the TV specials, the lights on the houses. No, we don't define the season by all of those things - it's not our "reason for the season" - but we'd be lying if we said we didn't wish we could be a part of it. So as you put up all your decorations and send out your Christmas letters don't feel guilty, just make sure that Christmas doesn't become what it is here in China - a holiday void of any spiritual undertones. Do your best to make known your reason for celebration because we'll be doing our best to do the same in our classrooms and with our friends. Happy Holidays!
Saturday, December 08, 2007
Walking the Cat
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Comment Guidelines:
*Comments that do not abide by these guidelines will be deleted*