My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.farwestchina.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

My New Chinese Instrument: the Gu Zheng

I bought a new instrument today! I told Tiff before we left to live here in Xinjiang that I wanted to buy a traditional Chinese instrument while we were here. Forget the little trinkets, touristy souvenirs, or t-shirts - give me a nice instrument. So after looking at many different instruments I chose what is known as the Gu Zheng (pronounced "goo-jun") and bought a very nice one last weekend with the help of Tiff and one of our teaching partners. Its rich redwood is a beautiful compliment to its deep tone. Now some friends have already pointed out that this instrument is traditionally played by a female, and while I am taking lessons in a class of all girls under the age of 12 (and that IS humbling), there aren't many instruments that are played by males here. Well, let me rephrase that - there are a few, but they sound absolutely horrendous and look just as ugly (i.e. the erhu or pepa). Anyway, the Gu Zheng now sits in our bedroom so (presumably) I will serenade Tiff's naps.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Guidelines:

  1. No profane or inappropriate language
  2. Links are allowed if pertaining to the subject at hand
  3. Links must be accompanied by a relevant comment

*Comments that do not abide by these guidelines will be deleted*

Blog Widget by LinkWithin