
Wow! We just finished our school's Christmas/New Years program and we have so many pictures we want to show you! Because people in China never tend to give any person advance notice or preparation on anything, we weren't sure how big this program was going to be. It wasn't until a couple days ago that we began to see the scope of this production - all the costumes, makeup, and set design - and it was nice!

To begin with, Tiff was asked about a month ago to co-host this big event which was supposedly attended by many big-wigs here in Karamay. We were excited at that time, but probably would have been more-so had we known what an honor the request was. A week ago she went in for a fitting and today they made her up to be the most beautiful I think I've seen her second only to our wedding! The dress was a traditional Chinese dress that is many times used in weddings here, but she displayed how beautiful an American can make Chinese clothes look.

Along with her co-host, a kindergarten teacher, Tiff announced in English (and he in Chinese) each program that was going to perform. Young kids from school danced and sang, firemen did a routine, military personnel sang, and the foreigners (that would be us) read the Christmas st

ory, sang a Christmas carol, and Tiff and I played. Over the past month I have been toying with a new computer program which allowed me to write out music for Tiff's flute and my guitar, so we played a blues arrangement of O Tannenbaum and a fast jazz rendition of Jingle Bells I wrote. I think it went over very well, and Tiff played the music wonderfully.

Although the rehearsals for this program seemed to drag on forever, the actual program went by so fast. Tiff announced, the kids performed, the parents applauded, and I got to take the pictures. We wish you all could have been there to enjoy this amazing piece of Chinese culture. There are many parts of this city which seem to fall prey to the invasion of western culture, but this program did a good job of showing off the costume, song, and dance that is uniquely Chinese. We hope that you enjoy the pictures and we can't wait to show you the hundred more that were taken!

1 Comment:
Want to see more pictures? Copy and paste this website.
http://obu.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2010848&l=0ddc3&id=82202439
Enjoy!
Post a Comment
Comment Guidelines:
*Comments that do not abide by these guidelines will be deleted*