My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.farwestchina.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

It's a Jungle Out There!

This past Saturday was a beautiful day to go out and shop for a few household necessities. We figured the best way to liven up our new home was to get some plants and of course a pet...fish! Two of the teachers that I work with, Lily (in the front) and Anna (on the right), decided that they would take us to their favorite place and help us bargain. The market had plants galore! They were of all sizes, colors and types. We had to keep in mind though that we had to carry whatever we bought back to the apartment, so we didn't want to get anything too big or get too many at once. After browsing through this massive jungle we found two plants that would work well in our apartment. I don't know what kind they are but they're pretty.

The market also had tons of shops with pets of all kinds. They had everything from fish to dogs, including various birds and bunnies. We decided that we would try some fish and thought that they would look great in our apartment. Lily and Anna came home with us to help us get the fish all settled in and find the perfect spot for our new plants. I was a little nervous that our bowl with the fake plant would be too small for the fish but they assured me it was fine. We started off with four and everyone survived the trip home. But this morning I woke up and said good morning to only three fish. There is not really anywhere for the fish to hide so I was really confused, until I looked on the ground. Sadly, the fourth one jumped out of the bowl. I was quite sad and shocked wondering what would cause a fish to do such a suicide mission. Surely, he liked his new home. Well, later today we came back from the grocery store and only saw two. That's right, another one had jumped out and landed behind the bookcase. We took out some water but other than that we do not know what to do. If you know what would cause fish to commit such a tragedy, we would really like to know. Maybe, we can prevent such atrocities from happening again. I do not want to be responsible for anymore deaths.


3 Comments:

Megan Summers said...

hey, i'm sorry to hear about your suicide fishies. THat's unfortunate. maybe you should place some type of barrier on top of the bowl...then maybe they'll just die of being knocked out or something, but they'll at least stay inside the bowl this time. What in the world did you do to them to make them want to commit such atrocities?! haha, well, good luck with the last two! be nice to them :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Nicki and I know Susan and Kyle, we met up in Beijing. Anyway, welcome to China! Maybe if you put a piece of paper or cardboard over the top of the bowl so they couldn't jump out?? Good luck.

Anonymous said...

I, too, send you my heartfelt condolences over the loss of your two fish or is it fishes?
The suggestions on here sound like good ones to prevent a reoccurrence.

The plant you are holding in the picture is a Wandering Jew.

Love you and miss you.

Pam B.

Post a Comment

Comment Guidelines:

  1. No profane or inappropriate language
  2. Links are allowed if pertaining to the subject at hand
  3. Links must be accompanied by a relevant comment

*Comments that do not abide by these guidelines will be deleted*

Blog Widget by LinkWithin